Serves 430 minutes or fewer
Look for stunningly red-fleshed blood oranges, which are just coming into season, to make this salad.
- 2 Tbs. agave syrup
- 1 ½ Tbs. lime or lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 oranges or blood oranges
- 1 grapefruit
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped arugula
- 1 shallot, peeled, thinly sliced crosswise, and loosened into strands (¼ cup)
- 2 Tbs. coarsely chopped mint leaves
- 2 Tbs. crushed roasted peanuts or dry-roasted almond slivers, for garnish
- 1 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
1. Mix all ingredients together in bowl. Taste for balance of sweet, sour, salty, and spicy, adjusting seasonings as necessary. Set aside.
To make Salad:
2. Slice ends off oranges and grapefruit. Stand fruit on cutting board, and slice away skin and pith from outside with knife. Cut fruit segments from membranes, and transfer to bowl; toss lightly with arugula, shallot, and mint. Toss with Dressing. Serve garnished with peanuts and sesame seeds.