3 tablespoons earth balance spread, melted
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup earth balance
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons soy milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl. Set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla, almond extract to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in 2 batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain.
4. Mix earth balance spread and graham cracker crumbs until well combined. Place 1 tablespoon graham cracker crumb mixture into the bottom of each prepared muffin cup. Use the bottom of a small glass to pack crumbs into the bottom of each cupcake liner. Reserve remaining graham cracker mixture for topping.
5. Place 2 teaspoons chocolate into each muffin cup. Reserve remaining chocolate for topping. Transfer muffin tins to oven and bake until the edges of hte graham cracker mixture is golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and fill each muffin cup 3/4 full with batter.
6. Bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooking rack and let cook completely.
7. To make frosting, beat shortening and earth balance spread until fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for 3 more minutes, until smooth. Add vanilla and soy milk, beat for another 6-7 minutes.
8. Spread a teaspoon full of frosting on each cupcake. Top with graham cracker crumbs and chocolate slivers.