So we get started trying on tons of dresses with the family so we can get a sense of what works on her hourglass shape. Magazines are browsed through, sketches are created and fabric is purchased without a plan in mind (couldn't help myself, I was in NYC!). We tried on tons of dresses and finally narrowed down that high waisted halters are very flattering on her. I would have loved to make the pattern but the clock was ticking so we found a Vogue pattern (V8556) to reference (but in the end was altered so much I probally should have made that pattern!). After 3 unglamourous fittings in scrap purple taffeta I thought we were ready so I cut into that dutchess satin from Mood and got to the sewing just 3 weeks before the wedding.
All went well so we had our final fitting 2 weeks before and I'm not sure how the bust was a little big (no problem; taken out at side seams and blended to waist) and she was no happy with the skirt shape. It was bias cut and very clingy on the hips. So a last minute layer of tulle was added to the lining. And I had a silk chiffon waistband that was not working for me. I tried to had stich it down to lay nice but finally ended up taking scissors to it and making a self fabric belt with the last remaining scrap of fabric (I was kind of regretting making a wrap and a pruse out of the same fabric at that moment!). Purse is Vogue V8628, wrap a simple double layer rectangle. Both have beaded lace applique from a beautiful fabric I found at Mood in Los Angeles.