Feta-Mint Zucchini Bites from Vegetarian Times
This is a winner even without mint. I've made when I didn't have mint on hand and still love this recipe.
Fresh mint takes on a very different flavor when it’s cooked—it tastes a bit like oregano, which is also a member of the mint family. These light appetizers can be assembled ahead of time, then broiled just before serving.
- 2 medium-size zucchini, cut into ¾-inch-thick slices
- 2 roasted red peppers from jar, drained, rinsed and chopped (about ⅓ cup)
- ⅓ cup crumbed feta cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbs. pine nuts
- Scoop out centers of zucchini slices, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shell. Steam 4 minutes, or until just tender. Set in baking pan.
- Toss together red peppers, feta, mint and pine nuts in bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler. Spoon filling into zucchini cups, mounding slightly. Broil 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.